Friday 17 January 2014

2. Minoru Park, Richmond


We will need to pick up the pace if we are going to visit 101 playgrounds this year!  But that will be easier to do as the weather improves and the days get longer.  After work and daycare today, we headed out to Minoru Park in Richmond, very close to Charlotte's daycare and walking distance from my work.  Minoru Park has tons of amenities - at the north end, there is a lovely duck pond with a waterfall and a bowling green; at the south end, there are the arenas and sports fields.  The playground is right behind the arenas; there are a couple of structures to play on as well as swings and slides.  It was a cold and foggy afternoon, but we bundled up well.  Charlotte loved the slides and went down the double slide on my knee.  She wanted to go again - but just wanted to be lifted to the top of the slide rather than go to the trouble of climbing back up again!  She loved the spiral slide too, but it was a little bit high for her for now.  I lifted her as high as I could and let her go - but I couldn't keep that up forever!

We were joined by a little boy named Evan, who loved Charlotte's Owlie and played with him while Charlotte rode the swings.  I thought we were going to have a hard time getting Owlie back, but luckily there was no drama!  It never crossed my mind that Evan was with anyone but his Grandad, but I was mistaken - he was with his dad!  I apologized for my assumption, but he cheerfully informed me that he gets it all the time and that at his age, most men are grandads.  He told me he was 58 when Evan was born - and now he's 61.  Imagine chasing a toddler in your sixties!

There was a geocache just 30 or 40 metres away from the playground, Squirrel's Viewpoint.  I had logged the cache before, but Charlotte hadn't, so we stopped off to make the find.  It was just a small cache, log-only, but it was very aptly named.

Back at the car, I sat Charlotte on my lap in the back seat so that I could take off her heavy winter clothes to put her into her car seat.  I don't know what came over her, but all she wanted to do was give hugs and cuddles and we sat there for a few minutes while she snuggled up to me.  I guess she must have been really happy that I brought her to Minoru Park!

The park is located at N49.09.904 - W123.08.616 - see the map linked below:  https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=z7IAXiVD2wGY.ke14vi-3MYtI


No comments:

Post a Comment