Saturday 12 April 2014

23. Hume Park, New Westminster

Today was the most beautiful day of the year so far!  Did you notice the shorts?!?  After I spent the afternoon locked away at work, Charlotte and I headed out to Hume Park, not too far from Blackford Island.  The park was teeming with people - why wouldn't it be on such a beautiful evening?  This park has a bit of everything: a dog off-leash park, an outdoor pool, tennis courts, baseball diamonds, a lacrosse box, a waterpark, and a playground for little kids and big.  Lower Hume Park is much less developed; there is a picnic shelter, but mostly it's just a big grassy space on the banks of the Brunette River - where you just may see a beaver or two if you go there at the right time of day.

Now, I try not to be one of those parents - I let Charlotte roam about the playground as she pleases for the most part.  I figure that it's good for her to test her limits and find out what she's capable of without too much interference from me.  And for as long as we were on the small climbing frame, that was just fine - but then Charlotte headed over to the one designed for the big kids...  Even then, usually I'm fine with it - Charlotte can only get herself so high after all.  But this one was different...  It had a set of nice, easy stairs, just perfect for an almost-two-year-old to climb - up to a height of about eight feet or so!  Then at the top there were openings out to ladders or to a fireman's pole - openings that made my heart catch in my throat.  So I had to supervise Charlotte pretty closely on this one and all was well, but let's just say that I was happy when she decided it was time to check out the fire truck and dolphins at the waterpark.  I don't really want to return to this particular park for a while!  Unless it's to go geocaching, of course; there are several in the park, including a night cache.  The park is located at N 49.14.020 W 122.53.440: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=z7IAXiVD2wGY.ke14vi-3MYtI

No comments:

Post a Comment